The ugly truth behind Anime

The anime industry is currently at its peak. Due to increasing popularity, several anime series are being licensed outside of Japan and companies like Viz and ADV are even starting to tap into those niche markets within the anime fanbase; something that I would never have thought possible a few years ago.
The otaku culture is becoming more and more widely accepted and even people who had no idea what anime was all about are starting to understand what drives fansubbers, what drives people to cosplaying and to organizing entire conventions dedicated to the anime industry. Yes, it certainly looks like a happy world for anime fans. But are thins really that simple?
Sadly, no. According to a report at Variety, the anime industry is suffering from its own share of issues that could very well result in some very negative consequences in the future.
At the forefront is a steady decline of DVD sales outside of Japan. That's not so surprising, really. Fansubbers and torrents are where most anime fans look when looking for something to watch. Digital distribution is taking over from DVDs and nothing can change that. However, the second, more serious problem is what has people worried.
Most of the animators laboring in the biz, however, are not geniuses, but rank-and-filers making absurdly low wages -- about $1,000 a month even for full timers -- while working insanely long hours. The result is high turnover, as talent migrates to game companies and other more lucrative pastures. "Most of the profit (in animation) goes to the ones with distribution power and leverage, such as TV stations and advertising agencies," says Chou. The creators get what amount to subcontractor fees.
This results in outsourcing to places like Korea and China, which usually causes a deterioration in the overall art quality of a series. The solution, apparently, is to "keep pushing the boundaries, both in terms of technology and artistic expression." Does this mean more CGI and less hand-drawn anime? I certainly hope not. CGI has its own appeal, but it isn't anime. Not by a long shot. I just hope the major anime studios over in Japan realize that growing costs cannot be avoided and look into remedying the problem pronto.
[Via ANN]
2 comments:
"making absurdly low wages -- about $1,000 a month even for full timers"
What world are they living in? I myself only make about $1,300 a month after taxes. I don't know if I'd call that absurdly low.
And if $1,300 is absurdly low, someone needs to fill me in on where I need to move to.
Yea, but I'm guessing when they say "insanely long hours" they mean it. I've been getting a little first hand experience of that myself of late, and it isn't always fun.
I'm guessing it's even more strenuous for artists who are at their tables just drawing picture after picture all day long.
Post a Comment