Sunday, March 18, 2007

Has anyone seen this game?


Oho! It seems my search for weekend content wasn't in vain after all. While browsing around through GameSpot's listings, I happened to come across this game in the DS section.

The game, formerly known as Yggdrasil Labyrinth, is now called Etrian Odyssey and is a role-playing game for the DS. According to the game's Wikipedia page, it's a "3D dungeon RPG" and is being developed by Atlus.

In Japan, the game is known as Sekaiju no Meikyu. The team working on the game was lead by Kazuya Niino, who also directed Trauma Center: Under the Knife. I guess that alone speaks volumes about the guy. Hopefully Etrian Odyssey will be as good as Under the Knife was (in terms of story I mean).

As far as gameplay is concerned, according to Tothegame, Etrian Odyssey will feature nine character classes. By the sound of it, the game is also pretty unforgiving and doesn't leave a very wide margin for errors, kind of like the Shin Megami Tensei games. The game is played from a first-person perspective and the touchscreen can be used by players to draw maps to track their progress, make notes and keep a track of their progress via a "Conquest Journal". Combat is turn-based.

Sounds good to me! Frankly, I can't wait to see more RPGS on the DS. Honestly, I can't begin to imagine what's taking Namco so long to localize XenoSaaga 1 & 2. I've been wanting to play that on the DS for so long. The GBA was the platform of choice for portable role-playing, so it's only logical that the DS will be its successor in that regard.

Be sure to check out the GameSpot link above for Etrian Odyssey. Head over to their images section and take a look at the screenshots. This game looks gorgeous. I can't believe I hadn't heard of it until now. According to GS, it releases on May 30th.

No comments: