Saturday, July 14, 2007

Sony Computer Entertainment: A shift in focus


Despite the fact that people are still slamming Sony due sheer hatred and anti-fanboy tendencies, I don't really think it makes a difference at this point. Over the past six months or so, Sony has observed the market, observed the competition, observed themselves, and have taken a step or two in a direction that is sure to redeem their image as well as their losses over the next year or so.

One of these steps was, of course, the removal of Ken "Father of the PlayStation" Kutaragi. While Kutaragi may very well be the hardware equivalent of John Carmack and Shigeru Miyamoto, his over-confidence and outright arrogance wasn't exactly doing wonders for the company. The same goes for our good buddy Kaz Hirai, who was also mostly absent from Sony's E3 press conference this year, save for a couple of introductory lines he threw at the audience to set up Phil Harrison's part.

The absence of the devious duo isn't all that has changed about Sony, though. Judging from the interviews they have given all throughout E3 this year, it seems the company's focus has shifted completely to allow for a more "Nintendo-like" structure. This is evidenced even further in a GamesIndustry.biz interview with David Reeves, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

Speaking to GI.biz about Sony's humbler, more relevant press conference this year, Reeves had some interesting things to say.
Was that humbler approach taken because you think Sony has appeared arrogant in the past?

I think they have. Not deliberately, but at E3 last year and maybe the year before, the presentations they did to a European and a Japanese perspective - yes. To an American perspective - no, because the difference in cultures is you have to go, 'Ra-ra, I'm the best.'

We in Europe, and especially the Japanese, don't necessarily accept that. You have to say, 'We're doing our best, but we're not the best.'

If you ask me, he hit the nail on the head. Europe and Japan are not countries where the marketing of a game is considered more important than the actual product itself, while the Americas are. Considering that the U.S. market is saturated with Xbox 360s, Sony is being most wise to realize the importance of the European and Japanese markets to their company's success.

Moving on to tackle the question of exclusivity, David had an equally interesting response to give.
As you say you've got Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo, and then Microsoft's got the likes of Halo. Then there's this murkiness around titles like GTA IV, where extra content is coming out on 360, and Microsoft is saying 360 is the only place where you can get the full GTA IV experience. Why didn't you get that content?

It's just a question of money. If Microsoft wants to pay USD 50 million just for that... Then I would say they're quite desperate. But as Jack Tretton said, we're really not in the business any more of buying exclusivity. We're more in the business of developing, from Phil Harrison's area, new IPs. We want to move on.

It's too easy to look at and say, 'We must get the GTA franchise.' By the time you've got it the world's moved on, and they'll be talking about some other game. I've got children who are 11 to 15 years old, and those kids are looking forward and not necessarily looking back.

They're the kids who are going to be buying it - the new franchises, but not necessarily the old ones that we signed up to E3 four or five years ago. They're not going to drive the market in the future; it's going to be the new ones.

Once again, an accurate and believable answer. I know this bullshit with the price drop and the 60GB model is annoying the hell out of a lot of people, but at least for the time being, Sony is back in my good books, solely due to the fact that they are more aware of their consumers' needs and their position in the market. Whether or not their humility is faked doesn't really matter ... as long as the gloating is left for long phone calls among their execs back at the office, I'm OK with it.

I'd recommend giving the entire interview a read if you've been feeling particularly spiteful towards SCE of late. Surprisingly, they even had a few good words for Nintendo. The actual, direct rivalry seems to be completely between Sony and Microsoft.


5 comments:

SockDog said...

Sorry I'd have to disagree. Not sure if I fall into the haters or anti-fanboys category, perhaps a bit of both. :)

While I agree we've see a huge effort by Sony to turn around that arrogant approach I think we're just seeing a thin veil of humility being placed over that. If I can bang on one more time about the price cut, a truly honest company would have said pre-E3 everything they are now admitting to post E3.

On the issue of exclusives, Sony really needs to stop talking crap. They've lost out on exclusives because they no longer look to be the most profitable platform to release to. This is their arrogance shining through, they expected exclusives as a given and are now trying to claw back some support. I expect we'll see the fruits of that labour late 2008- early 2009.

For Sony as a company to earn my respect they need to provide a consistent, honest and spin free message to me as a customer.

For the PS3 as a console they have certainly made a good machine and it's one I wouldn't mind owning if they can deliver on their promises for software.

Anonymous said...

We talking about Sony here, when they announce something I always got the feeling there is more to the story than they wish to tell.

But then I don't have to "respect" them, it's more like a mutual deal really. I'm worthless to them if I don't buy there products and I don't give a damn about Sony (MS, Nintendo ect) if they don't give me something worth buying. If I happen to buy there products it's not out of love for that particular company, I just happen to like what I've seen.

So Ken Kutaragi working there or not, Nintendo-like" structure, market-leader I really don't care about that stuff. All I ask from companies is to produce stuff I as a costumer have an interest in and that the price is right, if they can't do that for some reason no hard feeling. I just gonna try my luck somewhere else.

In Sony's case – since we talking about them – I still feel the same way as before E3, potential but nothing overly exciting. I wanna play MGS4 but there is no reason why I can't do that 3 years from now. Besides there still 7 games I want to play on my PS2 list so that should keep me busy for a while.

Btw anyone noticed that since this generation "exclusive" is no longer really exclusive. I saw a interview with Mark Rein from Epic talking about his exclusive title for the ps3 which also will appear on pc and Xbox. Later I saw someone of Sony (the same guy who did the chat with chewie) he talk about MGS4 being a exclusive for the ps3 and said he couldn't look into the future.

The more I read, see about the gaming industry the more I come to the conclusion the gaming industry is just a bunch of bullshit.

Ishaan Sahdev said...

I don't think that makes you a hater at all ... all you want from them is honesty; something they aren't necessarily ready to give.

I agree, that's really infuriating. That stunt with the price cut was nothing short of shameless, and I hope they take it in the rear end for that.

However, once that is all done with, I do hope to see Sony make some significant progress, because as much as I dislike their way of doing things, I don't think Microsoft could innovate if you gave them a magic wand to play with.

Anonymous said...

Actually I missed Ken there on stage I rather had him there showing off some controller waving it around for a few minutes than looking at chewy with his Dart Vader sticker PSP, that was just beyond lame.

Ken was also more entertaining than Phil who talked about how you could start any game from within Home.....Really Phil? Did you travel all the way to California to tell us that?

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀 酒店打工 酒店工作 酒店上班 酒店兼差 酒店兼職 打工兼差 打工兼職 台北酒店 酒店應徵 禮服酒店 酒店 經紀 打工 兼差