Friday, July 6, 2007

PS3 price drop finally confirmed?


Wow. I totally did not see this coming. All along, I've always figured that Sony would manage to hold on till late 2007 when some quality titles would hit the PlayStation 3 and boost its sales. I've never once thought that they would seriously consider a price drop this early on in the system's life. However, it looks like I could have been wrong.

GameDaily reports that the rumours from earlier regarding the PS3's price drop were, in fact, true. The Circuit City ad seems to hold the correct information.
It wasn't clear at first if this ad was a special deal specific to the electronics retailer or if it's indeed a retail-wide price cut instituted by Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). As it turns out, a merchandising manager (who wished to remain anonymous) at one of the world's biggest retailers has confirmed to GameDaily BIZ that the price drop is indeed retail-wide and it's scheduled to take place on July 12, although the first wave of ads to promote the PS3's new price won't kick in until Sunday, July 15.

So, it's finally happening. A $100 price cut. I'm still scratching my head over this one. I know I shouldn't be ... it just seems so unreal. I wonder what things are like over at SCEA right now.

4 comments:

SockDog said...

Did they have any choice? This is a pretty desperate attempt to gain a foothold and stop the bleeding developer support due to slow take up.

Let's see how MS responds, they are utterly capable of bringing the elite in at under $300 if they wanted too. I think they'll be watching the sales figures over the next few months on the run up to the holidays. Expect this to start getting bloody if the PS3 see's more than a marginal increase in sales. MS is best when it's back is against a wall and Sony just slammed up the brickwork.

Anyway, at least we now have one of the two most important PS3 sales factors on the table, now we need a couple AAA titles out and then we can really see if the console is going to find some legs or continue to limp on.

Did I say Nintendo BLASTER!!!! E4!! Will blow everyone away!!!

Ishaan Sahdev said...

Yea, who cares about a price drop? It's all about the Blaster! NEXT-GEN! NEXT-GEN! E4 is here!

Games shall never be the same again.

SockDog said...

Truth! :)

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀 酒店打工 酒店工作 酒店上班 酒店兼差 酒店兼職 打工兼差 打工兼職 台北酒店 酒店應徵 禮服酒店 酒店 經紀 打工 兼差