Weekend rant: Sleep is for the weak
Weekend! Finally, my time to relax, take it easy and catch up on my sleep ... not. I'll be starting work tomorrow at my new job, which is going to take up a fair amount of time and I've been preparing for it all week. I'm nervous as hell, and three nightmares about screwing it all up kept me from getting any sleep last night.
The working hours are fairly long, and as a result, I'll be updating Flame War ADVANCE at different times of the day from now on. For the first couple of weeks or so, my updating schedule might be rather erratic as I adjust to living on four hours of sleep a day for the second time in my life. The first time was when I was still in highschool, heavily involved in scanlations and had no time for meaningless activities like eating or sleeping.
This feels like going back to those days all over again, and to be honest, while I'm extremely nervous, I'm also very, very excited. My writing jobs at both Japantor and Jouhou won't suffer for more than a week or two at the most either. Regardless of what I do as a full time job, whether or not it's related to the gaming or anime industries, I am a writer first and foremost. As a result, FWA and the other sites I write for are definitely priorities and will not be neglected, even if I have to drag myself back from the very brink of exhaustion to pursue them.
The point of this post? Mainly to reassure you all and myself that, regardless of what I might be indulging in, Flame War ADVANCE lives on! BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHA- *cough hack wheeze*
Excuse me ... old age makes its presence known every so often.
On another note, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles is apparently a blast, according to Chris Kohler. Again, it's on rails and in my opinion, that's a hard design choice to follow up on. Hopefully, the final version will be something that can hold its own against RE5. I hear Umbrella Chronicles looks beautiful, so kudos to Capcom for that. I guess all that GameCube experience is really starting to pay off now.
That said, Lair on the PS3 looks really awesome, too. I've seen a ton of impressions about the game but I think Gamespot's were the most detailed. Funny; I always thought of the title as a more advanced Panzer Dragoon, but it looks like Factor 5 has no intention of taking it in that direction.
PS3 support really seems to be picking up. Lair looks great. White Knight Story, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII look great. Assassin's Creed will be a huge bonus for PS3 users, too, as will Bioshock. (Yes, it's coming. Semi-official blog or not, you just don't make that big a mistake. Of course it's coming ... eventually)
The way I see it, the system will be home to most of the big Xbox 360 games, and of course, a ton of Japanese games as well. Frankly, I think the PlayStation 3 is going to do great, regardless of the uphill battle it's been facing for the last half year or so.
Anyway, slow news weekend as always. I was hoping to see an early review for Pokémon Diamond & Pearl on at least one of the several sites that received review copies of the games, but I guess that won't happen until Monday at the earliest. I am now off to watch Claymore and Koutetsu Sangokushi, so I can type up First Impressions of both those over the next day or two. Have an awesome weekend!
The working hours are fairly long, and as a result, I'll be updating Flame War ADVANCE at different times of the day from now on. For the first couple of weeks or so, my updating schedule might be rather erratic as I adjust to living on four hours of sleep a day for the second time in my life. The first time was when I was still in highschool, heavily involved in scanlations and had no time for meaningless activities like eating or sleeping.
This feels like going back to those days all over again, and to be honest, while I'm extremely nervous, I'm also very, very excited. My writing jobs at both Japantor and Jouhou won't suffer for more than a week or two at the most either. Regardless of what I do as a full time job, whether or not it's related to the gaming or anime industries, I am a writer first and foremost. As a result, FWA and the other sites I write for are definitely priorities and will not be neglected, even if I have to drag myself back from the very brink of exhaustion to pursue them.
The point of this post? Mainly to reassure you all and myself that, regardless of what I might be indulging in, Flame War ADVANCE lives on! BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHA- *cough hack wheeze*
Excuse me ... old age makes its presence known every so often.
On another note, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles is apparently a blast, according to Chris Kohler. Again, it's on rails and in my opinion, that's a hard design choice to follow up on. Hopefully, the final version will be something that can hold its own against RE5. I hear Umbrella Chronicles looks beautiful, so kudos to Capcom for that. I guess all that GameCube experience is really starting to pay off now.
That said, Lair on the PS3 looks really awesome, too. I've seen a ton of impressions about the game but I think Gamespot's were the most detailed. Funny; I always thought of the title as a more advanced Panzer Dragoon, but it looks like Factor 5 has no intention of taking it in that direction.
PS3 support really seems to be picking up. Lair looks great. White Knight Story, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII look great. Assassin's Creed will be a huge bonus for PS3 users, too, as will Bioshock. (Yes, it's coming. Semi-official blog or not, you just don't make that big a mistake. Of course it's coming ... eventually)
The way I see it, the system will be home to most of the big Xbox 360 games, and of course, a ton of Japanese games as well. Frankly, I think the PlayStation 3 is going to do great, regardless of the uphill battle it's been facing for the last half year or so.
Anyway, slow news weekend as always. I was hoping to see an early review for Pokémon Diamond & Pearl on at least one of the several sites that received review copies of the games, but I guess that won't happen until Monday at the earliest. I am now off to watch Claymore and Koutetsu Sangokushi, so I can type up First Impressions of both those over the next day or two. Have an awesome weekend!
10 comments:
Hope you love your first day of work Ishaan! I know you'll do a fantastic job there and I can't wait to hear how it all goes.
Enjoy your last day of freedom! :)
Thanks man! I'm dying here from the butterflies fluttering in the stomach. I've been listening to this long, long playlist of the most upbeat, horrendous J-pop I could find to keep me from getting too nervous!
“On another note, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles is apparently a blast, according to Chris Kohler.”
According to Summa not so much,
I'll bet Summa hates chocolate too. And ice-cream.
OK, that was a joke. Seriously, about UC; I have my doubts, too. It certainly sounds like a risky design choice, and while GS and Kohler and IGN have had nothing but good stuff to say about it, the final product is what matters.
Apparently what Capcom had on display was 30% of the entire game, according to GameSpot. No telling how this will turn out.
Well yeah I posted the Summa link because It was the direct opposite of other the other review I did read, thought that was typical.
Anyway looks I gonna have my The House of Dead game, mixed up with some Killer7 elements (counter attack and one shot kill), so far I’m more interested in Treasure Island-Z tho…
Can we make a rule to never mention Summa ever again? It's bad enough I have to see his crap when going to Destructoid.
Best of luck in your new job, you've got nothing to worry about unless you're taming lions or dealing with pregnant women. :)
It does seem a shame that RE:UC isn't going to build on the success of RE4 but I'm with Cruds on HotD being great fun and if they build enough replay, scares and variation it could be excellent. I'd love to see a total randomised skill level that relies on skill rather than pattern learning.
As for Summa, career tosser. Really the guy needs to move over to a site with a readership aimed at his level of writing instead of dragging all of Dtoid down to a version of joystiq with tits. Moving on... :)
Ishaan, if you need a hand with some content give me a shout!
Don’t worry people, I will not mention “him” anymore ever!
I did read that Capcom bought the MotoGP license because it’s so popular in the US, as far I know it’s more a European, Japanese thing. Very odd move in my opinion, I fear for the future. Capcom doing licensed stuff, if this become a trend I never get to play Street Fighter 4.
You're all welcome to help with content as far as I'm concerned. Seriously, all of you guys bring up some awesome points and frankly, I think you could do some great posts/articles were you to give it a shoot.
That goes for you too, Cruds. I know you said your English wasn't all that, but hey; nothing a little proofreading won't fix.
That said, first day of work was great! Thanks for all the well wishes. If I'm lucky, I might just be able to update from work as well, during certain parts of the day. Let's see how it goes.
And now, to dig up content for today!
Post a Comment