Wednesday, April 25, 2007

New, game-focused manga magazine debuts in Japan


This is pretty interesting. A magazine aimed at "Moe". The fun part is, the magazine seems to cater entirely to gamers. It will feature tutorials for CG art, and all serializations featured in the magazine are being turned into video games.

The publisher Miraisyounen debuted a magazine called Moe Star—short for "Moero, Stardom"—on April 20. The bimonthly "revolutionary magazine for moe" features manga, a serialized novel, illustrations, and CG art lessons. According to the publisher, what makes Moe Star unique among other magazines is that all of its manga and novel titles are being made into games.

Hopefully, there will be an online version of this mag soon. It would be extremely interesting to look into the kind of content that they have. Either that, or hopefully, some raw-scanning groups will pick it up as one of their projects.

I'm just starting to scratch the surface of 3D modelling, so I'm definitely interested in learning about it from a Japanese perspective, considering I've been a much bigger fan of the manga/anime style of drawing for the majority of my life. I'm also very curious as to what kind of stories actually make it into the magazine, seeing as how it says all of them are going to make the transition to video games. I'm fairly certain there are going to be a ton of interactive novels and hentai games resulting from this. Whether or not we'll see more mainstream games is entirely up in the air right now.

[ComiPress via Anime News Network]