Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Another Umbrella Chronicles scan, more info


OK, this is going to be a busy Nintendo scan day, thanks to J-F and Go Nintendo. First up, is this second Umbrella Chronicles scan which reveals more info about the game.

Alas, it doesn't seem to be very pleasing information. It seems Umbrella Chronicles will be on rails, and no free movement will be involved, save for select portions of the game where you can choose your path. Looking will be handled with the analogue stick.

Eugh. I have no idea how to react to this. The "on-rails" gameplay worked well for Killer 7 and people say it kinda works for Dragon Quest Swords, but Resident Evil now, too?

This is a joke, right Capcom? Because if you ask me, it looks like you aren't very serious about your Wii support at all. One of your Wii games happens to be a port of a GameCube title. The other game seems to be far inferior to its PS3/360 counterparts (RE5 will probably turn out great, mark my words). And to top it all, you dissolved the only studio in your entire company that people actually liked a few months ago and now have nothing to show for it.

Tell me this is a joke. I sincerely hope Umbrella Chronicles will prove me wrong, but I really don't feel much love for Capcom at the moment. Click the picture to check out a bigger version.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

On a rails how? The House of the Dead/time crisis style? I thought there pretty good games, I just fail to see how RE4 + code Veronica = On Rails. But that would explain why all the screenies where first person view.

Ishaan Sahdev said...

I really have no idea how to react to this. Frankly, the whole "on-rails" things really scares me, because not every game can pull it off without feeling restricting. Killer 7 was all about style and atmosphere, so that was different.

I have no idea how Umbrella Chronicles is going to be any good in that sense ... the same goes for DQ Swords. I'm rather worried about both games.

Anonymous said...

They ve already done a couple of resident evil on rails shooter on the original playstation and the PS2...using the Guncon foer japan..which made the game fun...but the US never same a Guncon compatible release...people liked the whole of the first person perspective...come on Mna Capcom has been working with the undead for such a long time...they'll find a way to make us piss in our pants..

Anonymous said...

We’ll just have to see. If it’s like House of the Dead, I won’t mind it too much, I kinda like the idea of a arcade shooter. But yeah your right, again a game on a predetermined path. DQ Swords looked a bit to liniar for my taste. However I’ve read a review somewhere about the first one, the one where you have to buy a sword – forgot what’s it called – and plug it into your tv and that guy who played it said it was a blast.

SockDog said...

I think your basic on-rails games like HotD is brainless [snicker] and akin to a balls out shmup. This isn't such a bad thing but would you want to waste a franchise with a (cheesy) but established universe on something so shallow? I really hope not.

Then again I can be equally critical of the third person exploratory genre. I mean if you think about it, if a majority of your time playing a game is spent wandering from room to room trying to find a key to a door at the start of a level how much value does the freedom give you? Its a false impression given substance with interaction and cheap tricks like a healthpack, savepoint or scares.

So a combination of both might just be a interesting proposal. On-Rails to ensure a focused, scripted narrative, free from fluff and with set pieces. While also allowing a degree of freedom to make decisions, interact and take more control over minor plot elements.

As for RE4. I thought that was just a straight GC+PS2 port with Wiimote controls added for the FPS parts. Not sure if I'd pay to play again after owning the GC version but for those who missed it first time round it should be a blast.