Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Unreal Engine 3 is a whore. A whore!


I give up. I'm just going to crawl away to a corner and give way to depression.
Japanese-headquartered publisher and developer Capcom has become the latest company to license Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 3 middleware, with the industry stalwart planning to use the graphics engine in a new unannounced project being developed in North America.

[Via Gamasutra]

2 comments:

SockDog said...

Ignoring the obvious. Its interesting to see so many Asian developers buying into the Unreal3 Engine. So some questions and I'll take it upon myself to give my own answers at the same time. :)

Is this the next step of east/west cross development?

Seems very uncharacteristic of the Asian developers to accept foreign code and its inherited design ethics into their studios. But it does seem to be the case.

Is the rampant licensing of Unreal3 merely a basis for building their own engine technology in a few years?

Lets not forget Source was born of and still contains Quake code. Perhaps these deals are just to jump start their own offerings.

How will other engine developers respond to this interest in Unreal3?

Crytek and id both push a lot of revenue through engine sales. AFAIK Crysis and ET:QW also offer unique features not found in U3.

Ishaan Sahdev said...

Those are all really interesting questions (and answers). Particularly the last one. I, too, wonder what's going through id's head right now.

As for east/west cross development, yea, I think it's safe to say that we 're seeing a change in trends. I mean, companies like Capcom and Square Enix are now trying to cater to the Eastern and Western markets equally, so I suppose this only serves to help their cause.