Next Windows OS due in 2009

Well, this is certainly comforting. Vista saw its release less than a month ago and Microsoft is already planning its next OS for release two years from now. An applaudable business strategy ... probably strengthened by the fact that people have nothing better to do than switch operating systems constantly without any regard for their finances.
Vista shipped about two-and-a-half years after XP SP 2, and Vista's follow-up is expected to take about the same amount of time, according to Fathi. "You can think roughly two, two-and-a-half years is a reasonable time frame that our partners can depend on and can work with," he said. "That's a good timeframe for refresh."
That time line would put Microsoft's next client operating system out by the end of 2009.
Last year, Microsoft said that the code name for this Vista follow-up is Vienna, but Fathi said he could not disclose the current name. "We've been told not to use it publicly," he said.
Head over to Yahoo News for more on this absolutely ingenious endeavour.
6 comments:
Wow. What makes this even worse is the fact that right now, a lot of places can't even start using Vista because of software compatibilty issues. The University I'm at has pushed back its release of Vista because all of the networking software we use doesn't work with Vista.
I know...a lot of people have been complaining about Vista issues. My friend was saying something about not being able to get WoW to work on Vista, which is really odd. I thought that was one of the games that worked on the OS.
It sucks that Microsoft clamped down on third-party drivers, too. I can understand the need for a more secure OS but honestly, this is going overboard.
Didn't they pull many features originally intended from Vista just to meet this often delayed release date. I suspect the statement is going to be in reference to a VistaSE with new filesystem and other goodies finally in place and won't require we need to go through this settling period.
Personally I waited a good year or two before I moved from 2000 to XP and I'll do the same for Vista, the driver issues and head scratching just isn't worth it.
Yea, same here. I'm not going to be switching to Vista for a good long time. I just hope they don't encourage developers to make it so games don't support XP anymore.
I would assume this is more of a "Service Pack 1" for Visa as opposed to a whole new OS.
thing is wif this all the drivers are gonna be finally sorted for vista and microsoft will just mess it up wif a new OS they need to keep same structure so drivers wont change to much
Post a Comment