Production I.G. negotiating live-action Ghost in the Shell

If you're an anime fan, chances are you've watched, or at the very least heard of Ghost in the Shell by Masamune Shirow, the creative mind behind Apple Seed.
According to Anime News Network, Production I.G., the studio behind the highly-acclaimed Ghost in the Shell movie and its TV anime counterpart Stand Alone Complex has received permission from Kodansha to open negotiations with Hollywood studios for a live-action adaptation of the franchise.
As the producers of the original Ghost in the Shell manga by Shirow Masamune, Kodansha still retains rights to the series. Production I.G. produced the feature length anime films Ghost in the Shell and Innocence: Ghost in the Shell, as well as the Stand Alone Complex TV Series. According to the new contract with Kodansha, Production I.G. will represent the creators of the original work and other involved parties in negotiations for distribution of the Live-Action Ghost in the Shell and all other activities involved with production of the film.
A live-action GITS? I'm not sure how I feel about that. While there are certainly several series that I feel would make kick-ass live-action movies (Monster, Death Note), a live-action Ghost in the Shell could very well end up being a complete abomination, or worse -- a Matrix rip-off (which would be hilarious, seeing as how The Matrix heavily borrowed elements from the first GITS movie). Also, whether the series will be based on GITS or SAC also remains to be seen.
Live-action adaptations of anime are becoming an increasingly popular trend and whether you like it or not, they're here to stay. Anime series already have massive established fanbases and provide live-action studios with a solid base to rely upon. The only thing directors need to be careful about is being picky with the series they choose to bestow the live-action charm on.
No comments:
Post a Comment